Is it really wool? Test different samples of fabric to see if they are actually wool. Here are some tests:
1. Cut a small swatch of the mystery fabric, about 2 inches square. If your mystery fabric is in a garment, cut a swatch from the seam allowance.
2. Fill the small glass bowl with water.
3. Light the match.
4. Hold the fabric over the bowl and touch it with the lit match. Wool fabric will catch fire and burn steadily, though it is somewhat difficult to keep burning. When burnt, wool fabric will smell like burning hair.
Or watch this video of a Textile Fibres Burning Test – wool is at about 54 seconds – which highlights that untreated, natural wool is slow to burn.
1. Cut small swatches of some mystery fabrics, about two inches square.
2. Place each swatch in a separate small bowl and cover with bleach.
3. Set the bowls in a well-ventilated area for eight hours.
4. Check the fabric swatches. Most natural fibres will disintegrate significantly, or completely, in strong bleach – wool being the fastest.